D4Science is an organisation offering a Data Infrastructure since 2009.
- connecting +6000 scientists in 50+ countries
- integrating data from +50 heterogeneous providers
- executing +50,000 data analysis/month
- providing access to over a billion quality records in repositories worldwide
- operating with 99,8% service availability
D4Science serves different domains
in 50+ countries worldwide
- uses cloud-computing technologies to manage +300 servers (more than 5 TB Ram, +1700 CPUs, 400 TB storage)
- is monitored via Nagios and Prometheus
- is automated via Ansible for Application Deployment , Configuration Management and Continuous Delivery
- is governed by deployment and operation policies
- has established Sevice Level Agreements (SLA)
Four main sites are directly contributing to the infrastructure with hardware resources:
- The Pisa Site operated by the Networked Multimedia Information Systems Laboratory of the Istituto di Scienza e Tecnologie dell'Informazione "A. Faedo" of the National Research Council of Italy;
- The Athens Site operated by the Management of Data, Information, and Knowledge Group of the Department of Informatics & Telecommunications of the University of Athens and by the Communication & Information Technologies Experts S.A.
- The Consortium GARR, a non-profit association whose main objective is to provide high-performance connectivity and to develop innovative services for the daily activities of researchers, professors and students as well as for international collaboration.
- The FedCloud provided by EGI with the support of CESGA, GeoGRID, IISAS-FedCloud, RECAS-BARI and UPV-GRyCAP
D4Science is operated by a team of professionals and researchers having as main objective the maintenance, the updating, the operation and the support for users of the infrastructure itself. Meet The D4Science Team.