D4Science is an organisation offering an Hybrid Data Infrastructure since 2009.
It is supporting a large array of diverse Initiatives, Communities of Practice, and Projects.
Its development started in the context of the homonymous project cofounded by the European Commission and have been expanded thanks to cofoundings stemming from other projects, namely:
- D4Science-II - Data Infrastructure Ecosystem for Science (2009-2011);
- ENVRI - Common Operations of Environmental Research Infrastructures (2011-2014);
- EUBrazilOpenBio - EU-Brazil Open Data and Cloud Computing e-Infrastructure for Biodiversity (2011-2013);
- iMarine - Data e-Infrastructure Initiative for Fisheries Management and Conservation of Marine Living Resources (2011-2014);
- BlueBRIDGE - Building Research environments for fostering Innovation, Decision making, Governance and Education to support Blue growth. This new European initiative funded under the H2020 framework will further develop and exploit the iMarine e-Infrastructure data services for an ecosystem approach to fisheries.
Three main sites are directly contributing to the infrastructure with hardware resources:
- The Pisa Site operated by the Networked Multimedia Information Systems Laboratory of the Istituto di Scienza e Tecnologie dell'Informazione "A. Faedo" of the National Research Council of Italy;
- The Rome Site operated by Engineering;
- The Athens Site operated by the Management of Data, Information, and Knowledge Group of the Department of Informatics & Telecommunications of the University of Athens and by the Communication & Information Technologies Experts S.A.